Blogger Templates

Saturday 25 May 2013

Cinema Spotlight: The Great Gatsby


Earlier this week I had the pleasure of going to see 'The Great Gatsby' movie. Even though I didn't have a full knowledge of what the film was about I still wanted to go and watch it, especially after seeing lots of snippets and glamorous looking trailers. Now that I have watched the movie in full I can tell you that it was a fantastic, five-star rating love story. 

The movie starts off in retrospect with Toby Maguire looking back on his time spent partying as a young, free and ordinary guy living a whirlwind life of endless parties in the 1920's. The story builds up a sense mystery surrounding who rich socialite, Jay Gatsby actually is and whether or not he is just a myth. However, despite the many parties Gatsby throws it soon unfolds that this is all just a cover-up for his loneliness. His character development is fantastic particularly when we learn that all of the grand gestures and crazy social gatherings he hosted were designed to seek the attention of one woman, Gatsby's long-lost lover, Daisy. Now I won't spoil the ending of the movie for those who haven't seen it yet, but it's definitely got my vote!

Aside from starring Leo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire who both delivered outstanding acting performances, one of the primary reasons I went to see this movie was for the on-screen glamour. The movie boasted dazzling visual affects from start to finish and gave a life-like account of how people lived during the 1920's. The 1920's have always been one of my favourite historic time periods, particularly from a fashion stand point. The characters in this movie truly capture the elegance and the glamorous costumes people would wear on a daily basis as well as that essence of social status. 

Directed by the man behind Moulin Rouge - Bazz Luhrmann, it's no wonder the visuals are so stunning!

Some of the outfit highlights for me are noted in these cinematic pictures below...

















Note: All images are not my own.


3 comments :

  1. A fine blog post that, Old Sport

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha why thanks very much :) Glad you enjoyed reading! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really want to watch this film! x

    ReplyDelete

All of your comments are much appreciated - thank you! xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...